Case Study – One of the world’s largest retailers
ISG has been working with one of the world’s largest retailers as key technology partner for more than 25 years. Providing installation and maintenance services for everything from a humble cable to a sophisticated ICT infrastructure and specialised retail technology.
ISG provides the technical expertise and UK-wide resources to implement solutions across thousands of stores without impacting trading, with the capability of implementing scores or even hundreds of installations per day.
ISG has developed a UK-wide force of multi- skilled ‘single-visit’ engineers and invested in highly efficient UK/Nearshore professional services, providing a very cost effective and streamlined operating model.
The implementation and maintenance of a wide variety of technologies to thousands of stores, where store profiles continually change and need periodic refresh, all happening as business requirements and technology availability continues to move forward.
Our clients also need a partner to collaborate in exploring new technologies. Above all, the moving target of any retailer estate needs to be managed according to precise timing, with minimum disruption – and economically.
ISG designed, deployed and continues to manage a range of technologies covering physical infrastructure and WiFi, proprietary communications systems, retail-specific systems including EPoS, self-scan and self-check-out and other mission-critical ICT systems.
All projects are undertaken by ISG’s Project Office and supported through its dedicated Service Desk.
Since we first started trading in 1982 ISG has undertaken a huge volume and variety of retail projects, both directly and in conjunction with our retail business partners, including Wincor Nixdorf, Fujitsu and NCR.
During this long-term partnership ISG has not only accumulated a comprehensive knowledge of our client’s infrastructure and technology but, we believe, has also made a positive contribution to their success. As a long-term partner we are committed to meeting our clients project goals for the good of both businesses.
Our solution designers and project managers work closely with our clients to look for novel solutions to their challenges and actively contribute to streamlining processes and delivering change. But ultimately all these good things need to be delivered at a viable cost. Because ISG offers a one-stop-shop service for everything from design to deployment and support, we have been able to save time and money with consolidated processes, problem- solving and our exceptional ‘how to’ experience.
Why Retail, Specialty and QSR retailers rely on ISG for effective and economical ICT services:
• ISG engineers have been specifically trained over time to provide multiple, accredited skills so a variety of different activities can be achieved at once: saving time and reducing cost by between 35% – 50%
• All retail store, warehouse and office technology can be deployed and supported: WiFi, proprietary comms, ICT infrastructure, Unified Comms, telephony, in-store HHT devices, self-scan, self-checkout, RFID, software and hardware upgrades, security, access and time management systems
• All our support arrangements are provided by our 24x7 Service Desk, offering any combination of 1st, 2nd or 3rd line support
• Our UK-wide engineers provide on-site coverage with up to 4-hour response time
• ISG provides storage, pre-staging and logistical support for mass deployment of new technology
• Deployments – from single site to very large scale – are managed by our permanent Project Office facility: if projects don’t happen on schedule or on cost it’s because we’ve done better, hitting or exceeding SLA targets
To find out more about our Retail IT design, deployment & management solutions please here.
ISG Retail Services
1. Wi-Fi – Mass Deployment & Support
For one of our clients ISG has installed over 25,000 Access Points in over 3,500 locations in the last 2- years during a complete network refresh. ISG undertook all aspects of implementation work from site surveys, equipment staging and installation, system tests and sign-off. ISG’s multi-skilled engineers were able to undertake infrastructure provision and other practical activities as required within a single visit. With thousands of stores to be implemented ISG’s Project Office created the asset register, the activity plan and monitored progress hour by hour. ISG continues to provide ongoing maintenance and enhancement support for all stores – with over 500 new surveys undertaken each year to meet the store refresh program. ISG uses its proprietary system ISG Connect© to undertake surveys and reporting.
2. Data & Voice, Installation and Maintenance
ISG has installed over 300,000 data outlets and undertaken tens of thousands of individual physical infrastructure assignments for structured cabling, CAT 5e, fibre and proprietary connectivity. Infrastructure and refresh activities run at up to 15 stores per week.
All physical infrastructure projects are managed by the ISG Project Office.
3. Retail Innovation Technology
ISG is working with clients on a wide variety of Retail Store technologies, as follows:
• SAYS. Implementation of dedicated WiFi for ‘Scan as you Shop’, including infrastructure to all stores
• Self-checkout. Implementation of infrastructure (data & electrical) to Self-Checkout units at all stores
• RFID Stock Management. Implementation of infrastructure to back-office and shop-floor RFID readers
• RFID Security. Implementation of LAN connectivity for RFID security readers
• IP Time-Clocks. Installation of IP clocks and infrastructure for time management, plus ongoing system maintenance
• Customer WiFi. Implementation of Access Point configuration to support secure loyalty-card guest access in-store
• Electronic Pricing. Dedicated WiFi for petrol gantry pricing at petrol forecourts
• Kiosks. Installation of over 1,200 customer kiosks including cabling and LAN connectivity
• Electronic Displays. TV wallboard installations with power and blu-ray connectivity
4. Service Desk & Maintenance
Service desk can be provided for stores, technologies supported include all network infrastructure, fibre, WAN, LAN & WLAN, Workgroup bridges, wireless links to petrol gantries, kiosks, wireless inter-store links and special retail innovation technologies. Response and fix times vary according to requirement but include 24/7 4-hour attendance categories for mission-critical components. Over 3,000 different sites have been supported with on average 500 site visits being handled each month.
5. Health Lottery Nationwide Deployment
Our client needed a rapid largescale deployment of its health lottery to over 2,200 stores. The work was to be conducted out of hours. ISG planned and managed the project with all sites installed within 6 weeks – sometimes implementing over 100 stores in a single night. ISG also installed infrastructure for selected National Lottery terminals.
6. EPoS Installation, including tailor-made cabling system, across UK
The installation of new EPoS equipment with associated cabling to over 600 stores, comprising PC, screen, scanner, keyboard, payment components and fittings. As part of the deployment project, ISG proposed and supplied a custom-made cabling harness to improve the working environment and ease of support.
7. ICT integration for 600 petrol stations
As forecourt convenience stores became an increasingly important part of our client’s estate, ISG undertook the integration of all the stores’ physical infrastructure, including an initial rollout of 260 stores with fibre optic links that was concluded within three months.
8. Online/Direct – eCommerce infrastructure
ISG undertook the implementation of specialised LAN technology to provide the enhanced IT infrastructure needed to support our clients direct/online home shopping initiative.
9. Back-office system
Infrastructure and software upgrade Engineers were scheduled to visit all our client’s stores to upgrade the existing back-office system. The upgrade provided a more advanced stock check system and improved remote access connectivity from satellite stores to the head office.
Network Infrastructure consultancy and design providing the right technology solutions for your business.
Planning and implementation services with large scale rapid deployment capability across UK and Europe.
24/7 Remote network monitoring, support, systems maintenance and UK wide break-fix services.